These tips and tricks are useful when conducting an Ideation session with your client. If you are using your internal process, you can skip this video and article and move on to the next article linked to below.
- Have an ice breaker; your clients may be nervous about brainstorming with an agency. Do something fun to lighten the mood and get everyone in the right frame of mind.
- Ensure your Creative team familiarizes themselves with the Plan and measurements prior to the session.
- Meet as a team prior to understand the clients' mandatory goals/initiatives to accomplish in the Ideation session. Nine times out of 10, there’s a specific "thing" they want to push through. You may be the neutral third party they are using to get it through.
- Send an email to the client as a warm welcome. Include the guidelines and schedule for the day.
- Encourage an open environment, and discourage any use of technology during session - other than breaks.
- Who should you invite to an Ideation session? The agency Lead or Support should find out from the client who will be participating prior to the session. Often times, the client likes to bring more of the “doers” to the Ideation session. If there are new people to Ideation that did not participate in the Plan session, the Support should walk through the Plan with the members prior to Ideation and answer any questions.
- If you have a lot of measurements and a lot of people, it is a good idea to divide the room and measurements in half for the sake of time and efficiency.
- You won’t ideate against every category, nor do you need to. Don't ideate against the external categories.
- Even if people have the same idea as one they have just heard, encourage them to still present it, but to tape it near the other card so they are all together. This will come in handy later when you are consolidating tactics.
Now that your Ideation session is complete, you'll want to send your clients one more survey to gauge feedback and find out what they thought of the session. Let's read about it.